Monday, August 9, 2010

Mannequins in Africa

It has been awhile since my last entry, blame it on the boogie! I guess it is high time I get off my silk box and write on issues that really make the world a much better place. Thank God for those who make a difference everyday.

So I recently went home to Africa and spent sometime with my friends and family, I have to say that it is very refreshing to be around such wonderful people. I got to do a lot with Christopher and my niece and nephews. It was a fun time. As we went about our daily lives, I was
Of course being more observant of my sorroundings more so than I have done before. I was truly focussed on taking everything in, especially because I want Christopher to really value his African heritage and love it.

It was this experience that really makes me appreciate so much where I come from. It was funny at first, but as I reflected on the incident, I only feel so much more confident of who I am and my heritage. So my cousin and I who love shopping, we were doing what we love most and as we went from plaza to plaza checking out the fashions, I had to stop and ask. Why are all the mannequins in the shops white?
I actually asked one manager and he was surprised at my question. He told me that is what they had so that is what they use with absolutely no qualms. Of course for someone like me who is from America, it was a shock. Especially when Nigeria is predominantly Africans who are dark in complexion. There was no shadow of concern in their minds about it. I was actually happy to see how the color of the mannequin was irrelevant to them. They were just happy to show case their merchandise and that was all that mattered to them. I shopped as many shops as possible and all the mannequins were the same. I just had to mention this, because who we are as people should be to uphold one another and never be so focussed only on the color. So I find myself giving thanks for such an experience, because it makes me feel so confident and proud of who I am as an African American.

I just had to share this, and I hope that anyone who reads this will also see the beauty in the experience with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment